Saturday, November 24, 2012

Goodbye Delta Angel... Hello Desperado's!!!

Updated January 03, 2013 -

DESPERADO'S IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED FOR A MAINTENANCE ISSUE.  CHECK BACK HERE FOR UPDATED INFO AS SOON AS SOMETHING CHANGES.

Well, the much heralded (at least on Yelp) Delta Angel has moved on... not sure if they actually moved on to Heaven but they've moved on from St. Vincent's Guesthouse.

In it's place, fledgling New Orleans restauranteur, Bobby Shriner, has opened his new restaurant, Desperado's, overlooking the scenic courtyard at St. Vincent's Guesthouse, 1507 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130.  I'm not sure of his new phone number yet, but you can always call the front desk at St. Vincent's @ 504-302-9606 for the latest update about Desperado's!  (Say hi to me if I happen to answer)  I was working late the first Friday night and sent a few late night (but hungry) guests and they all said the hamburger and fries were GREAT!!!  And the price can't be beat for opening week... only $5.00 for a nice hamburger & fries!!!

Here's their Yelp.com page...  http://www.yelp.com/biz/desperados-new-orleans-2

More to come later as I talk to Bobby for more info, menu, hours, etc.

Update Added December 01 thru 20, 2012 - 

Desperado's has been open 24/7 for the past several weeks and I've heard nothing but good reviews for the food and GREAT reviews for the prices.  Bobby S. has a $5.00 breakfast (2 Eggs & Sausage or Ham and Toast) and a $5.00 lunch or dinner or late night meal (of Hamburger & Fries) plus several other side items including Biscuits and Sausage Gravy, Creole Beans & Cornbread (which I've had and they were yummy!) and a large plate sized pancake with butter and syrup/powdered sugar or both for only $1.00 per pancake (which I've also had and it was yummy as well!).  Bobby has also been doing Prime Rib dinners for $15.00 once a week or so and other specials.  I've also seen breakfast sandwiches, omelets, various lunch and dinner sandwiches, etc.

 I gave Bobby a pound of my own Rouse's Brand Coffee & Chicory for him to try out.  I have to have coffee & chicory since my momma always referred to pure coffee as "roach piss" in our home... and I use to get Coffee & Chicory in my baby bottle so I know I'm addicted to it!  LOL  Coffee & chicory is just so much stronger (AND BETTER!!!) than pure coffee.  I told him that coffee & chicory is "Naturally N'Awlins!"   Here's a little history on coffee & chicory from the famous Cafe Du Monde - http://www.cafedumonde.com/coffee  I didn't know that Chicory was the Endive Lettuce plant root, roasted and ground up.  It's always a good day when I learn something new!  I should also add that Cafe Du Monde's website shows them as being opened since 1862 so they started up just a year or so after St. Vincent's!  Bobby has been getting the Rouse's Coffee & Chicory on a regular basis now so I hope that means all his guests are enjoying it as much as I do.

I hear they are working hard on getting the bar open so it's BYOL for now if you want an adult beverage with your food.

As many folks already know, I'm a prankster and joker and writing funny songs and parodies are just one of my many ways of being a prankster... so I'm working on a remake of the old song, Desperado, and it's starting off something like the following.  Of course, in my 8+ months working part-time at St. Vincent's, this is the third restaurant to occupy this really GREAT location in the lower Garden District... thus the parody song name, "Desperation" instead of "Desperado".

"Desperation"

Desperation... another restaurant at St. Vincent's.
Inside asylum fences, for such a short time.
Oh Bobby Shriner, I know that you have your dream!
But like so many others, one day you'll feel reamed!

LOL

More to come on Desperado's and "Desperation", the song parody!

Lenny Vasbinder

Original Lyrics below this Youtube of The Eagles...



http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eagles/desperado.html

"Desperado"

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
You been out ridin' fences for so long now
Oh, you're a hard one
I know that you got your reasons
These things that are pleasin' you
Can hurt you somehow

Don't you draw the queen of diamonds, boy
She'll beat you if she's able
You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet

Now it seems to me, some fine things
Have been laid upon your table
But you only want the ones that you can't get

Desperado, oh, you ain't gettin' no younger
Your pain and your hunger, they're drivin' you home
And freedom, oh freedom well, that's just some people talkin'
Your prison is walking through this world all alone

Don't your feet get cold in the winter time?
The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine
It's hard to tell the night time from the day
You're losin' all your highs and lows
Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away?

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
Come down from your fences, open the gate
It may be rainin', but there's a rainbow above you
You better let somebody love you, before it's too late

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated ONLY to limit spammers, profanity, etc. All reasonable comments will be approved without censorship. This blogger believes in freedom of speech.